ABOUT FAMILIES IN SCHOOLS
The Families In Schools (FIS) mission is to involve parents and communities in their children's education to achieve lifelong success. Driven by values for equity, empowerment and collaboration, Families In Schools strives to create strong family-school partnerships by delivering programs and training which build the skills, knowledge and confidence of both parents and staff on how to work together. Established in 2000 as the legacy organization of an education reform project, FIS is nationally recognized for its successful service model which aims to increase student outcomes through family engagement.
FIS seeks a President/CEO to represent the organization as it relates to educational partnerships, government advocacy and fund development. The President/CEO is responsible for the overall success of FIS with an operational budget of $1.7 million and a core staff of 15. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator, strategist, and achiever with previous success in the areas of organizational growth, community outreach and strategic planning. Key areas of focus include the following:
Leadership and Strategy
- Responsible for overall leadership of the organization including operations, programming, partnerships, advocacy, fundraising, finances, and strategic planning.
- Ensures appropriate planning for the immediate implications of COVID-19, as well as planning for long-term impact and strategic growth opportunities.
- Works in partnership with the Board to develop a strategic plan that aligns programs with FIS values, mission, vision and long-term goals.
- Identifies and informs the Board of Directors of internal and external issues that affect the organization through regular communication and accurate reporting.
- In conjunction with the executive operations team, analyzes key programming metrics relevant to the field and useful in achieving program excellence.
- Effectively collaborates with supervising staff to improve agency efficiency and organizational capacity.
- Envisions, communicates and promotes a work environment that functions as a cohesive team while retaining and recruiting quality staff and volunteers.
- Works with Board leadership to develop and implement ongoing strategies that support Board recruitment and engagement.
Finance and Fund Development
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, VP of Programs and Strategic Partnerships, and Senior Manager of Communications and Marketing, supports all fund development efforts.
- Collaborates with the Finance Manager to establish a financial strategy that ensures sustainability, healthy cash flow and adequate reserves.
- Cultivates fiscally sustainable relationships with foundations, corporations, major donors, and prospects, taking a leadership role in developing donor engagement strategies.
- In partnership with VP of Programs and Strategic Partnerships, oversees contract procurement, implementation and compliance.
Community Relations and Advocacy
- Oversees a robust, multi-campaign communications strategy, bringing awareness to the FIS mission and activates parents and professionals in achieving its vision.
- Initiates, develops and maintains cooperative relationships with key constituencies including government officials, leaders of nonprofit organizations, corporations, foundations, and private philanthropists to promote policies that strengthen the family-school partnership.
- Acts as an advocate, within both public and private sectors, for services and constituencies relevant to FIS.
- Prior experience as an Executive Director, or member of the senior leadership team of a nonprofit organization with an annual operating budget greater than $1M.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master's degree in a related field, preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years' experience in progressively responsible roles within senior management positions.
- Experience working within education and a key understanding of the changing landscape, preferred.
- Demonstrated fundraising success with major donors, private foundations and institutional partnerships.
- Demonstrated experience in risk management, with an emphasis on addressing strategic and financial implications.
- Demonstrated belief in and a commitment to continued professional growth and development of employees, volunteers and the Board of Directors.
- Ability to lead operations and collaborate with staff; work with diverse groups of people and a wide range of faiths, beliefs, ages, cultures, and experiences.
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and a generous benefits package. Families In Schools is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation or disability.
Envision Consulting was retained by Families In Schools to conduct the search for their incoming President/ CEO.