10Assist and guide the university community in strategic and technical areas of development.Essential
10Represent the UA Foundation and university with various and diverse individuals and groups, including alumni, students, families, community leaders, businesses, donors, and government representatives.Essential
10Serve as senior advisor on development to the university president.Essential
20Manage the day-to-day business and operations of the UA Foundation, including governance, board relations, compliance with legal requirements, and budget development and management. Work with the UA Foundation director of finance to ensure policies and decisions meet and serve the aligned needs of the UA Foundation and the university.Essential
25Guide the university’s efforts to assess, plan, and implement comprehensive system-wide fundraising campaigns.Essential
25Work with the UA Foundation Board of Directors and the University of Alaska President on strategic planning, goals, and annual work plans aligned with system-level development priorities.Essential
The president/chief development officer will work with the UA Foundation Board of Directors and the university president to establish and execute system-level strategies that grow and sustain private donations in support of the university mission and priorities. He/she will ensure that the UA Foundation is effectively managed and carrying out its responsibilities in the prudent stewardship and investment of private philanthropic resources donated to benefit the university. He/she will work collaboratively with the chancellors and advancement leaders for the University of Alaska’s three universities to help optimize resources and efforts invested in advancement.
The UA Foundation is a nonprofit corporation that operates for the exclusive benefit of the university. Its purpose is to accept donations to the university and to manage, invest, and oversee the handling of those contributed funds to ensure each donor’s intent is met. The UA Foundation also provides strategic direction, coordination, and technical assistance in development to the three universities in the University of Alaska system.
The University of Alaska is comprised of three separately accredited universities—University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA), University of Alaska Fairbanks (UAF), and University of Alaska Southeast (UAS). In fulfilling its mission to inspire learning and to advance and disseminate knowledge through teaching, research, and public service, emphasizing the North and its diverse peoples, the university serves approximately 33,000 students on 16 campuses across Alaska. The university supports Alaska’s workforce development and higher education needs by offering certificate and associate, baccalaureate, and graduate degree programs.
This position will serve as president of the UA Foundation, reporting to the foundation board of directors, and as the University of Alaska’s chief development officer, reporting to the University of Alaska vice president of university relations and serving as a member of the university’s senior leadership team.
- Post-graduate degree or substantial leadership experience preferred
- Commensurate experience including, but not limited to, successful leadership qualifications in a senior administrative capacity; demonstrated success in fundraising; and/or experience in universities, foundations and working with endowments
- Proven ability to develop and inspire a team of accomplished advancement professionals in a collegial manner with a demonstrated capacity for teamwork
- Commitment to and understanding of public higher education
- Able to engage effectively and authentically with a wide range of internal and external constituents in a wide variety of settings
- Fundraising campaign experience (higher education preferred)
- Executive presence and excellent presentation capabilities
- A persuasive and effective internal and external communicator with strong listening skills who will be a passionate advocate for the University of Alaska and tell its distinctive stories to inspire and engage diverse audiences in the foundation’s mission
- Alaska connections and personal knowledge of the state or a strong interest in relocating to Alaska and embracing its unique culture and environment
- Experience leading an institutionally related foundation
- Experience working within a university system structure
- Adaptable, flexible, perseverant, quick learner
- A strong strategist who is creative, innovative, entrepreneurial, and action-oriented
- Professional knowledge and experience in all aspects of the advancement paradigm as well as an understanding of current and emerging advancement best practices and a keen sense of current and developing trends in higher education advancement
- Experience working with federal and state legislatures and knowledge of political and appropriations processes
- A high energy and enthusiastic proven fundraiser who will stimulate a robust culture of philanthropy at the University of Alaska
- A leader committed to diversity, equity, and an inclusive environment in which all individuals are treated fairly and respectfully, have equal access to opportunities and resources, and can contribute fully to the UA Foundation’s success
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, high emotional intelligence, and a genuine interest in others
- An interdisciplinary thinker
- A connector who builds strong and meaningful relationships with internal and external constituencies
- An executive with business and financial acumen who can positively affect efficient operations of the UA Foundation
- Collaborative leadership style and highly professional supervisory skills which facilitate the continued development of a high-performing team
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
The President, University of Alaska Foundation/Chief Development Officer, University of Alaska Search Committee will review application materials as received and continue until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted electronically (MS Word or Adobe PDF) to UAFoundation_President@agbsearch.com and must include:
1. Letter of interest that addresses how the candidate meets the Search Committee’s qualifications,
preferred attributes, and the opportunities for leadership as described in the position profile;
2. Resume or curriculum vitae;
3. Diversity statement describing what diversity means to you and why it is important; and
4. Five professional references with email addresses and phone numbers provided (references
will not be contacted without prior permission from the applicant).
AGB Search in Washington, DC is assisting the President, University of Alaska Foundation/Chief
Development Officer, University of Alaska search. Nominators and prospective applicants may contact
the executive search consultants:
Kimberly Templeton, JD
Office: 202. 776.0820 | Cell: 540.761.9494
Executive Search Consultant
This position is designated as an officer of the university or senior administrator at the discretion of the president.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
The University of Alaska (UA) is responsible for providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities throughout the applicant screening process. If you need assistance in completing this application or during any phase of the interview process, please contact UA Human Resources by phone at 907-450-8200.
Affirmative Action Statement:
UA is an AA/EO employer and educational institution and prohibits illegal discrimination against any individual: www.alaska.edu/nondiscrimination
The successful applicant is required to complete a background check. Any offer of employment is contingent on the background check.
Public Disclosure Statement:
Your application for employment with the University of Alaska is subject to public disclosure under the Alaska Public Records Act.
University of Alaska is a Drug-Free Workplace.
University of Alaska campuses are Tobacco-Free.
It is the policy of the University of Alaska (UA) that all employees are required to complete training to meet the requirements of the positions they hold, and to complete the required training within a specified period to remain employed at the UA.
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact University of Alaska HR at 907-450-8200.