Reporting to the College President and serving on the President's Cabinet, the Provost and Vice President serves as the Chief Learning Officer. The Provost provides strategic leadership to the Division of Learning, which includes the Schools of Continuing Education and Workforce Development, Liberal Arts, Professional and Technical Studies, and Science and Health as well as all academic operational and support areas, to ensure that they reflect the mission of the college. The Provost serves as an advocate for all educational programs, providing leadership to faculty, staff, and administrators to ensure consistent high-quality standards in curricula and programs that meet the needs of students and the region. The Provost oversees the academic integrity of the college and provides leadership in long-range planning, budgeting, curriculum, program development, and faculty support. The next Provost and Vice President for Learning will foster a culture that embraces innovation, promotes educational equity, and is focused on students. CSM has a culture of rallying behind ideas beneficial to students. The Provost will also provide visionary leadership for the academic operations of the college. The School of Continuing Education and Workforce Development programs have recently been restructured to report to the Provost along with the Schools of Liberal Arts, Professional and Technical Studies, and Science and Health. The ability to lead these four Schools to operating cohesively is critical to the success of the reorganization. A keen focus on professional development and mentoring faculty and direct reports is a desirable skill for the next Provost. Ensuring educational excellence while leading people and managing the effective allocation of resources is another key trait for the next Provost. A thorough understanding of technology, instructional technologies, and a college-wide ERP is necessary in the Vice President. A strategic budgeter with the ability to foster the creation and funding of new programs is critical. Praised for its success and innovation toward diversity, equity, and inclusion, the next Provost will recruit, develop, and assist with the retention of outstanding and diverse faculty and staff. CSM is built on a culture of respect and understanding, highly developed Emotional Intelligence is also key to the Provost’s success.
* Minimum of an earned doctorate.
• Successful teaching, preferably full-time within in community colleges.
• Significant academic administrative experience, preferably within community colleges.
• Must be capable of leading faculty, be sensitive to student’s needs and interests, demonstrate commitment to fostering excellence in teaching and learning, be able to work with faculty to demonstrate excellent student outcomes in transfer and career programs, be able to envision and advocate quality in general education and effectiveness in developmental education.
• Must be capable of working with technically able people; be able to envision and advocate the importance of technical education and education in applied technologies for development of a world-class workforce.
• Excellent communication and human relations skills required.
• Experience in accreditation activities, learning outcomes assessment, and global education preferred.
Apply online at www.paulygroup.com and Click on "Apply Now" for College of Southern Maryland.
Attach (1) a cover letter that addresses the minimum qualifications and preferred characteristics; (2) a current resumé; and (3) reference names and contact information. Please direct all confidential inquiries and nominations to the College’s search consultant,
Dr. Angela Provart
Pauly Group, Inc.
3901 Wood Duck Dr., Ste. E, Springfield, IL 62711
Phone: 217-241-5400 Fax: 217-241-5401
The committee will begin review of applications immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, with materials submitted by Monday, March 29, 2021 receiving priority consideration. All applications are confidential and references will not be contacted without the expressed authorization of the applicant.
The College of Southern Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.