Position: President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Department: Business Administration and Fiscal Operations
Reports to: Board of Directors, Chair
Pay Status: Full Time
Salary: Salary Exempt
As the highest-ranking executive of Harbor Care, the President/CEO, is primarily responsible for overseeing business operations, communicating with board members and other company leadership while making major decisions that impact the brand, identity and financial health of Harbor Care. Our current CEO and Founder will be retiring after serving 40 years in this organization.
Supervises all department heads and oversees the management of all programs and staff.
About Harbor Care:
Harbor Care, formerly known as Harbor Homes and the Partnership for Successful Living affiliates, is an innovative health and human services non-profit organization that provides housing, healthcare, home health, behavioral health, addiction treatment, and more in collaboration with many community partners. Harbor Care is the new shared name of Harbor Homes, Keystone Hall, Healthy at Home, the Harbor Care Health and Wellness Center, and the Southern NH HIV/AIDS Task Force. Harbor Care has 325 employees, serves 5,000 patients/clients and has an annual budget of approximately 40 million dollars. We offer many programs specifically focused on our Military Veteran and homeless populations. Harbor Care integrates stable housing with vital supports such as: medical, dental, and mental health care, substance misuse treatment, employment services, and other wraparound supports proven to end homelessness, help change and save lives.
At Harbor Care, we consider our employees to be our greatest assets. We show this appreciation with our comprehensive benefit packages which include: Medical and Dental with a generous Employer Paid Portion. We also offer Voluntary Benefits such as Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k) with a competitive company paid match, and more. To promote a healthy lifestyle and living a well-balanced life, our employees are further benefited with a considerate time off policy and holiday schedule. In addition, employees can participate in our Employee Assistance Program to help support them and their families to handle life’s challenges.
Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs):
Since Harbor Care is under the FQHCs umbrella, some of our staff members have the opportunity to participate in the wonderful Student Loan Repayment Program called the National Health Services Corps (NHSC). This is one of the many great benefits of working at Harbor Care. For more information about this Program, please cut and paste the link below into your browser.
Our mission is to provide vital services, including housing and healthcare to all in our communities needing assistance.
Our vision is one where everyone gets to live safe, stable, and healthy lives, filled with purpose, respect, and dignity.
The President/CEO is responsible for the management, direction, and coordination of all organizational operations and related activities for the purpose of attaining the goals and objectives as set forth by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO will conduct the affairs of Harbor Care within the limits of their authority as set forth by this job description and the policies and directives established by the Board of Directors. The President/CEO provides visionary leadership and identifies goals and new programs.
- Master’s degree in Health Administration or Business Administration.
- A clinical equivalent degree will be considered.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends the meetings of the governing board and is responsible for developing and implementing Harbor Care’s mission and strategic plan.
- Leads in developing, planning and implementing Harbor Care’s business plans in accordance with the strategic plan.
- Recommends, develops, implements and updates strategic long/short range plans to support Harbor Care’s philosophy and goals.
- Assesses Harbor Care’s current financial and operating performance. Drives efforts to ensure optimal financial performance. Evaluates and refines operational efficiencies against the organization’s ability to fulfill its mission, vision and strategic goals in a changing environment.
- Ensures long-term financial stability for the organization by developing and achieving budgetary, financial and strategic goals.
- Informs the Board about current trends, challenges and activities to facilitate policy making.
Relationship with Board of Directors:
- Participates in and coordinates the identification and onboarding process of new board members.
- Regularly provides the Board with reports, data and other indicators regarding the workforce’s ability to maintain skills and competencies to perform essential work duties.
- Oversees and monitors programs including medical, dental, mental health, housing, Veteran services, homelessness, Substance Use Disorder (SUD) treatment and other program activities to ensure the fulfillment of the community’s needs for each of those programs.
- Establishes, secures approval and oversees operating policies and procedures.
- Oversees efforts of recruitment, development, and performance evaluation of employees throughout the organization.
Financial Management/Fiscal Operations:
- Actively supervises the business and financial affairs of Harbor Care and fiscal management including accounting, budgeting, internal controls and timely reporting.
- Enhances operational effectiveness, emphasizing cost containment without jeopardizing important innovation or quality of care.
- Continuously monitors operations, programs, and physical properties. Initiates appropriate changes.
Human Resources Management:
- Resolves administrative problems, as appropriate.
- Keeps lines of communications open with staff to ensure a professional, positive working environment. Such open lines of communication include both formal and informal avenues as well as utilizing a mix of media processes intended to maximize meaningful workforce access to senior level management.
- Continuously focuses on developing an employment culture that embraces high quality care and employee satisfaction.
- Delegates authority and responsibility to management team members.
- Continuously develops and improves management techniques and practices.
- Encourages integration within the community through effective communication.
- Responsible for effective fund development, public relations and marketing programs focusing on capital development and growth.
- Represents Harbor Care in its relationships with other organizations that provide human services, Veteran services, housing support, homelessness support, SUD treatment, mental health services and health care.
- Represents Harbor Care in its relationships with government agencies and third-party payors.
- Maintains professional affiliations and enhances professional development to keep current in the latest trends as applicable to all programs of the organization.
- Ensures compliance with all regulatory agencies governing the delivery of services involving all programs throughout the organization and the rules of accrediting bodies.
- Maintains strict confidentiality.
The above list of essential functions is not an exhaustive list, but rather examples of Board driven priorities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strategic and creative thinker who is committed to excellence.
- Able to transform ideas into action and motivate staff to embrace new approaches.
- Effective communicator with the ability to expand the agency’s visibility, influence and impact.
- Compelling and persuasive, able to generate passion for delivering quality services and supports within the workforce.
- Comfortable and effective with a wide range of audiences, both locally and nationally.
- Individual with strong interpersonal skills and open to new ideas and ways of doing things.
- Able to engage with a diversity of cultures and successfully develop and nurture partnerships and work collaboratively with individuals and organizations, including government, not-for-profit, medical, public health, community and business.
- An advocate who is able to find common ground and balance the needs and agendas of competing stakeholders, including Board and staff.
- Keen financial and business acumen and political savvy.
- Able to “see around corners” – identifying new realities and acting strategically.
- Skilled at recognizing and creating opportunities and leveraging resources.
- Respectful of the past with the ability to make positive sustainable change.
- Committed to following HR best practices and knowledgeable about labor laws and workforce regulation.
- Strong negotiator who can find common ground and embrace a win-win philosophy.
- Able to navigate a variety of environments including clinical, not-for-profit, government and business.
- Seven years of executive level experience in the administration of a combination of programs including medical, dental, mental health, housing, Veteran services, homelessness, and/or SUD treatment. FQHC background highly desired.
- Experience, education and/or training in social work, occupational therapy, counseling, case management, medicine, nursing, psychology or other related human service field.
- A proven track record of excellence in leadership.
- An accomplished executive who is knowledgeable in health care, finance, public health and community-based services.
- Respected and credible leader with vision, presence and a passion for Harbor Care’s mission.
- A knowledge of local/regional real estate and housing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a multi-faceted organization like Harbor Care with complex organizational, regulatory and financial demands, including a variety of funding mechanisms.
- Effective leader with demonstrated ability to inspire, delegate, and build high-performing, inclusive and collaborative teams.
- Track record of successfully leading and navigating change and growth.
- Sophisticated understanding of the strategic drivers, trends and outside forces that affect organizations like Harbor Care – both threats and opportunities.
- Adept at navigating the political and economic landscape affecting programs throughout the organization. A familiarity, or a willingness/ability to become familiar with the state/regional social and political environment and the populations served by Harbor Care.
- Experience working with individuals and groups from diverse racial, cultural, linguistic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A relationship builder with a strong track record of developing and cultivating strong, effective collaborations and partnerships.
- Demonstrated success in development/fundraising and revenue generation/diversification.
- Experience serving on or working for a board of directors; experience with not-for-profit boards preferable.
- Proven ability to understand and ensure compliance with complex regulatory requirements.
- Experience in defining, enhancing and growing the corporate culture that Harbor Care aspires to reach.
- Passionate about the mission and the communities served and sensitive to communities’ concerns.
- Energetic, positive and committed to excellence. Recognized for integrity; thoughtful, honest and fair.
- Personable, approachable, compassionate, and empathetic. Outcome/impact oriented.
- Flexible and open to new ways of doing things. Courageous; willing and able to stand up for what is right and to make hard decisions.
Harbor Care’s Commitment:
Model and enforce the “Red Carpet Treatment” among staff and clients comprised of the following:
- Earn our clients' trust
- Build long-term relationships
- Give clients the best possible experience to make them feel like they're coming to a place they belong
- Provide the best quality of service
- Treat every client with dignity and respect with each encounter
- Prioritize communication from any Harbor Care employee seeking help for a client.
Harbor Care is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Location: 77 Northeastern Blvd, Nashua, NH 03062
Job Type: Full-time